My name is Derek Smith. I speak English. I'd like to be bilingual, but will settle for borderline fluency in another language. I've attempted to formally learn Spanish and Chinese, and through friends I know a couple greetings and a few swear words and threats in Korean. I would like to improve my Chinese and pick up Thai sometime as well. I'd also like my Spanish to be improved enough to allow me to get by visiting Latin America or Spain (though I don't care much for the lisp-accent in Spain).
I received a B.A. English, minoring in Linguistics, from UTA in 2008, with then intent of getting my M.A. TESOL as soon as possible. I worked in a junior high for Arlington ISD as a tutor in the AVID program. I went through an alternative teacher certification program the following summer for ELA and ESL 4-8, but due to a sudden surge of laid-off teachers from some districts and few openings in others, I returned to the same junior high as an AVID tutor, long-term substitute AVID teacher, substitute for other subjects, and a general "whatever the principal wants." The extent of my experience in teaching English specifically includes leading conversational English classes for nearly two years on UTA's campus, English camps in Sichuan, China during the summer 2007, and tutoring/coaching my friends who are international students. I visited the Newcomer Center in Arlington and sat in on some ESL classes at the junior high where I work, and I fell in love with ESL.
I think that's about it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Derek--I would LOVE to get a gig as an AVID tutor. I'm a sub for FW, and I'm trying to find my way into AVID. Have you enjoyed your experiences with that class?
ReplyDeleteI can sympathize about finding a full-time job. For the past two years FW hasn't done a lot of hiring, and there has been some strange issues with teacher placement that prevented new positions from opening up. I think this will be a good year to try if you're still actively seeking full-time placement.
I also know all about filling in as whatever the principal wants ;-) It happens to us subs A LOT.
What dialect of Chinese did you learn? (Or perhaps I should ask what language you refer to when you say Chinese.)
ReplyDeleteDerek, you've lived the life I hope to have soon. I don't necessarily mean the AISD AVID program, but the teaching in China. I'm about to leave on a year long 'sabbatical' from school, and want to learn about other cultures (especially the food!)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI accidently deleted my comments. I am curious about Korean swear words you learned. haha.
ReplyDeletesorry for the late replies...
ReplyDeleteFood is amazing and one of the biggest joys of traveling for me. Sichuan is the province I went to, known for its spicy food.
I studied Mandarin here at UTA and practiced with a lot of friends I made around campus, from ELI, EMBA, or just regular undergrad and grad students.
Allison, if you're interested in AVID here in Arlington, let me know in class and I'll talk to you about it. Actually, I will bring it up later today in class... not sure if you'll even read this by then.