Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Beth, but it's Allison

Hi! I'm Allison, and I speak English. I can kind of speak Spanish too, but I haven't practiced it in quite some time...so my proficiency is questionable. Still, I've taken 14 years of Spanish instruction, and when the blade is honed...

I'm an English teacher. I taught full time for one year at a charter high school in Irving with a highly diverse population, including ELLs from several different language backgrounds. I've been subbing in FW for two years now, and work closely with some ESL teachers. I also taught Exit-Level TAKS remediation last summer, and I'm teaching English III in summer school this year. I've never taught any other languages, but I suppose I could survive teaching Spanish in high school. I can read a textbook like the best of 'em.

Nice to meet y'all!

4 comments:

  1. If you don't mind me asking, is Allison a middle name or like a family/friends nickname that just stuck? Also what is an ELL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,

    An ELL is an English Language Learner. Allison is my middle name--and I've heard recently that apparently it's quite common in the South to go by your middle name...I never knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you from around here? You mentioned using the middle name is common in the South....

    Do you like working with children, adults, or both?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ronda-- I am definitely from here. Actually Wichita Falls (which I affectionately call Wichita Faucet--the "fall" is fake), I just don't advertise that often. I have a begrudging love for the ol' hometown. We moved to Ft. Worth when I was four.

    I'm cut out for high school, and I imagine adult learners, though I have no experience teaching in an adult or post-secondary setting. I can't handle the little ones in an educational setting...and elementary teachers are kind of deities to me ;-)

    ReplyDelete