Read through the practical steps to test construction on
pages 468-472 in your textbook. Are any of these new to you? If so, which
one(s) and what do you think of them? Can you think of additional items you
would add to that list?
(Additional comments on this post no longer earn points. Please choose a more recent entry).
(Additional comments on this post no longer earn points. Please choose a more recent entry).
Jarrod Duarte
ReplyDeleteMost of the steps to test construction in the book are clear and obvious but one critique that I would add would be the actual "physical" nature of the test. For example, In my last 2 Spanish classes I have had to deal with tests that require a heavy bit of writing, yet at the same time the space provided to write your answer on the test is not realistic in size, unless one assumes that no mistakes will be made when writing. This is something that has always bothered me, and I think is often overlooked.
Jarrod Duarte
#7. Provide ample washback. This step is new to me. I think its a good idea that prior testing and providing feedback that a teacher prepares for the assessment and prepares to understand what kind of feedback is best for his/her class. And to be available to discuss the feedback with students.
ReplyDeleteI can't think of anything else to add to this detailed list (pgs: 468-472).
Stefani Goode
Like Stefani, I think #7 is a new concept for me, as I've never heard the term "washback."
ReplyDeleteHowever, I also think #4 "Revise Your Test" is something I haven't particularly thought about because I always assumed that when you finished your test, you were done. However, it would definitely be good to try to take the test yourself to see if there are any awkward directions, awkward assessments or anything.
None of these concepts are new to me, however some are new vocabulary. Providing ample "washback" is very important to me as a student because just knowing what you got wrong isn't enough. Feedback about WHY it's wrong and what I can study for later is much much more helpful.
ReplyDeleteI can't think of anything else I would add to this list.
Along with everyone who has already commented, ‘washback’ was a new concept for me. Also, since I have never formally drafted a test, the concept (#2) of drawing up test specifications based on objectives was a step I think I previously might have brushed over. I probably would have gone straight from deciding my objectives to drafting the test over them. However, now I think devoting some time to deciding how and how much each objective will be tested is important. Something I might add to the list is to have a coworker proofread my test for errors and confusing instructions. I also might tell them my objectives and ask them to check for face validity.
ReplyDeleteWhile none of these were new to me I agree with Melody, “washback” was a new vocabulary and a concept that is rarely used from what I have seen. Also I would have to ask if some of teachers are able to do this. I know I have heard some departments like to standardize the test they use. At UTA most all spanish test all look a like as if they are all pulled from some teacher answer book. Most test given back just have a red slash through the wrong answers and the student is supposed to figure out where they went wrong. I can not think of anything to add to this list.
ReplyDeleteI didn't find any of the items listed in the book surprising, but I do think that overall this list is helpful because it brings to light the fact that testing isn't something we can take lightly or for granted. This list makes it obvious that careful consideration of each element within a test is vital for an accurate assessment of students' capabilities. The idea of editing a test for future use or based on feedback/practical application is not exactly new to me, but I think it would be one of the main things I'd keep in mind as a new teacher trying to develop out a whole file of ESL teaching materials. I would definitely take the time to evaluate the practicality and effectiveness of assessments before attempting to use them again. As others have noted, the washback concept is one that I think would be especially helpful for students - the idea of actually using assessment feedback as an instructional tool is great in that it is so student-specific.
ReplyDelete