Monday, April 30, 2012

Chapter 26 Question

Examine the "Hot Topics in the Language Classroom" section beginning on page 515 in your textbook.  Discuss the use of controversial topics in the ESL/EFL classroom.

(This post earns you 1 points). 

2 comments:

  1. As a teacher and especially an ESL teacher, it is important to be sensitive to others cultures that the students come from. Physical appearance can be deceiving, so one should always be careful when speaking about others. I agree that one must teach with social responsibility, and by doing so, the classroom will be fully engaged without resentment. Students should be given an opportunity to discuss "hot topics" as long as the teacher serves as a moderator without imposing their own views on the students. A good ESL teacher will teach their students that there are certain ways that one can have a discussion about politics or religion or rights and so on, without imposing one's own point of view. For example, saying "I understand what you are saying, but..." is a good phrase structure to possibly teach students that respectful debate is a good thing. The book states that teachers are responsible for creating an atmosphere of respect. This is very true because as a cultured person, the teacher should know that everyones opinions are equally valid. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really gone back and forth on this issue. This might be because I am concerned that I wouldn't have the ability as a new teacher to manage this type of scenario appropriately. I certainly wouldn't want to bring a hot-button issue into my classroom unless I felt that I had created an atmosphere of acceptance prior to doing so, and not unless I also felt that I had enough control of my students to be able to steer them back toward peace if things became tense. I think also that because this type of topic requires analysis and clear communication, and critical thinking, it's better to hold these discussions in higher-level classrooms so that students can actually convey what they mean in English. This once again goes back to knowing your students - if you have a group of students who are able to handle a 'hot topic', then I see no problem with bringing that type of conversation into the classroom and facilitating discussion. However, if you have a group of students that frequently has issues with disrespect, interpersonal conflict or prejudice, the topic would need to be approached differently or not at all. The teacher is obviously also really key here - if the teacher is not prepared for the opinions of the students or willing to respect all viewpoints and create an atmosphere of openness there is no reason to even approach hot-button issues. I have personally encountered ESL scenarios where I found students' responses extremely personally offensive, even though they were not meant offensively, and I think this type of situation made me aware that as teachers we can't let our gut reactions take over. We have to recognize what is really going on and react appropriately, no matter how we personally feel about an issue, so that our students will have a good role model to follow.

    ReplyDelete