Thursday, July 8, 2010

On The Last Day of Class...

1. Please click here for the test: http://www.usingenglish.com/quizzes/302.html

This test is a valid test for being able to use indefinite articles. There are several questions that are more difficult, as they are the exceptions to the rules. It is good because the questions start out easy, but then become increasingly difficult, though I wish that they also had some easy questions at the end. It seems to be targeted toward an intermediate level of understanding.

2. My grammar instruction was a bit too deductive to be "communicative." I believe that having some examples and going over them would have been more useful than going over the rules first. On the lesson plan I wrote, I actually covered the rules first and did the PowerPoint second, but in class I just did the PowerPoint. I do not think that this would necessarily be the best way to teach articles in an actual ESL class because of the limited amount of reading comprehension. I have learned much about my teaching style and that I, too, love grammar, but I also know that too much grammar instruction early on in my L2 learning has caused me to over-monitor my speech.

4 comments:

  1. You didn't link your test Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the things you could title your post.... I don't know why you didn't call it "Boring Test Assessment Crap and other stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Matt raises a good point about too much grammar instruction early on in the L2 learning as causing one to over-moniter speech. I've seen students do this including myself in L2. This certainly would impede fluency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said your grammar instruction was a bit too deductive to be "communicative". But don't worry. I think my instuction was worse in terms of communicative perspective. It was hard to make an inductive instuction within 10 minutes. I have to think about it very carefully for my future service teaching.

    ReplyDelete