1. http://www.englishclub.com/esl-exams/levels-test-wc.htm
This website shows a test that evaluates your level in English written comprehension. Thus, it is a Reading test. It gives you 15 minutes to solve 20 questions. If you click a bar "Now click for your level" you'll check your level in terms of reading comprehension.
I like it in terms of practicality; that is, the test itself is very easy to understand and it takes a second to check your score. Money does not seem to be an issue at all. In addition, this test is quite reliable since it is very consistent; the given 20 questions are always the same. In terms of validity, it is still good in that it measures what it is intended to measure. Finally, it uses authentic langauge.
One big problem is that this test does not show you the concrete result. In other words, it does not have a WASHBACK part at all. Even if I know my level of reading comprehension, I don't have any idea about what I missed.
Lastly, having only 20 questions can also be a problem. This test should have a question bank made of at least 100 similar questions so that we can have a different problem set next time.
2. How can I make the grammar teaching more "communicative"? Evidently, L2 is different from L1. And it is ideal to have an inductive approach in EFL classes. However, researchers and scholars argue that deductive approaches have a lot of demerits.
I realized that my grammar teaching on Tuesday was quite deductive. Even though I started with an example, the whole teaching was based on rules. I remember I repeated "3rd person, singular, and present" over and over again. I like Krashen's idea about "Comprehensible Input" but I also know that it takes time. Within 10-15 minutes, how can we successfully teach grammar to students with inductive approach? I have no answer yet..... I should have given more examples in the first half of the teaching. By doing so, students can possibly realize the rule by themselves.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like your test, Yilmin. I got a 95, though. Can you help me? haha
ReplyDelete100 questions is long! Depending on the level, it could take a very long time to complete, maybe hurting the practicality of taking the test (students may need a potty break, it's hard to focus on a computer-administered test that long for some people, and also eye strain could be a factor).
Haha, I got a 95, too. Can we help each other?
ReplyDeleteI think I made you misunderstand. I mean they can make different 20-question sets out of 100 questions. So, it will be a 20-question set with various questions. I'm sorry to make you get me wrong.
And I said the problem is that they don't show us the concrete result. I really wanna know what I missed!
I totally agree with your complaints relevant for feedback, but it seems like a solid comprehension test.
ReplyDeleteI really loved the pragmatic aspects of questions so that you can see students are able to comprehend pragmatic meanings beyond the literal meanings.
I understand what you meant with questions bank but it will be ok because test-taker will take the test only once. More than 20 questions will be better, though.
Oh, by the way, you posted the exact same test I found
ReplyDelete