Think
back to your first lesson plan. How much did you integrate skills? If
a lot, discuss the way you integrated skills. If you did not integrate
skills very much, discuss ways that you could integrate other skills
into your lesson.
(Additional comments on this post no longer earn points. Please choose a more recent entry).
(Additional comments on this post no longer earn points. Please choose a more recent entry).
I think my first lesson plan integrated listening and reading skills, but it did not really give the students a chance to have much oral practice or writing practice. While the students did have to write, it was not extensive and did not require the student to be very creative.
ReplyDeleteThe students had to listen well in order to understand the lesson and had to read well in order to complete the activities. However, I think the lesson needed a lot more oral practice. Perhaps an activity could have been added where the students had to create a short play that involved using the grammar lesson at hand (in my lesson, it was the imperative form-giving commands).
We focused on integrating skills and I feel like we did a pretty good job. Students received speaking practice while repeating new vocabulary, conversing with and introducing their partner to the class. Listening was involved in the vocabulary introduction and partner activity as well. Students did not do any reading during my demo lesson besides the instructions on their handouts, and no real reading skills were addressed. We tried to integrate writing by having the students write out sentences describing scenarios that were similar to the oral interviews done in class. I feel like overall we did a pretty good job of integrating skills, minus reading.
ReplyDeleteI would say reading was the one we didn’t focus a lot on-the others were covered fairly well. Listening of course, was throughout the entire lesson, because there was always interaction (for example the activity, you listened and replied according, or the class review), and there was an activity for speaking and even when presenting the terms questions were elicited to encourage speaking, and then the assignment was writing based on what was taught (i.e, be able to write was just said in class-similar scenarios). I think given the type of lesson though (introducing new vocabulary), that in itself might be enough without putting too much focus on reading. Maybe in the next lesson reading could be integrated with a larger portion (say a story that had the new terms put into it), and then we can focus more on that skill.
ReplyDeleteLooking back, I don't think I integrated reading and writing very well. That's likely a side effect of my current students at work, about half of whom are pre-literate. With an educated target population as I had for this assignment, however, I should have incorporated more literacy skills. They did have to do a little bit of writing and reading, but only of isolated words and not of sentences. Their homework included written work that they would later present, but I had them doing very little reading in class. One thing I could have done was have them write a short paragraph about the places they did and did not want to travel and why. I would do this after they had done the exercise orally so that they would have some time to process and organize their thoughts before putting them on paper. Another option would be for them to work in small groups and have each person write their answers on a piece of paper. Then they could mix the answers together and each person draw and read an answer and try to guess who said it. This way the students get practice writing and then also reading the work of the other students. The negotiating in the guessing process would also give them opportunities to practice oral communication.
ReplyDeleteIn my lesson plan, I integrated speaking and listening skills but really not so much reading and writing. The students had plenty of time to talk and listen to each other when they were trying to do the in class exercise. Having them work in pairs to complete the exercise allowed them to use both of those skills. It is true that I had the students write down a grocery list using partitives, but there really wasn't any grammatical exercise where they had to read something other than vocabulary words or produce written sentences of any sort. Possibly instead of the teacher talking about Valentine's Day traditions, I could have had the students read a story about them and then write a small description of what happens in their country on that day or perhaps on their favorite holiday, and then have them read them aloud so we kept practicing reading and speaking as well.
ReplyDeleteFor the first lesson plan, I think it mainly focuses on listening and speaking skills. Students are taught the weather vocabularies and sentence patterns to describe different weather. They practice their conversation ability in real social situation. But for reading and writing abilities, it seldom contains. Students can read example sentences, to some extend, which focuses on reading skill. If we want to integrate reading and writing skills into this lesson, we need to design an activity involving these two skills. Considering the intermediate-low level of students, reading and wiring can be designed as reading more sentences about describing weather and temperature and writing their own sentences using the new vocab.
ReplyDeleteJarrod Duarte
ReplyDeleteListening and writing were two skills that I integrated somewhat, and speaking and reading were less emphasized in my first lesson plan. There are many ways in which I would integrate all four skills into my next lesson, I believe group presentations on a topic such as music would be a way to integrate all four skills while keeping it light as well or presentations of original dialogue or a small play would be interesting to do as well. These ideas would require reading on the subject, speaking while presenting it (though I do questions if this simulates real world speaking opportunities), writing the project and the students would practice listening by paying attention to the other students presentation (maybe with a survey or short questionnaire to feel out).
Jarrod Duarte
In out mini lesson there was a lot of focus on listening and speaking (giving and receiving directions). In my own lesson plan I included an extra activity where the students wrote out directs from their home to a familiar location, but I don't think I had anything focusing on reading. For that lesson it might have been possible to have the students read each others directions, or have pre-written directions for the students to follow. It seems like reading is easiest to include in homework, followed by a discussion in class about the material that was read. I know as a student I prefer not reading longer material in class, especially if I am slower at reading my L2 than my classmates.
ReplyDeleteKailey Watson
In my first lesson plan, I believe I integrated all 4 components of language: speaking, listening, writing, and reading. I have to say in our actual mini-lesson that we presented in class, we were severely lacking on integrating skills. In the actual mini-lesson we integrated a little of speaking and listening, but that's it (pair work using a scripted dialogue). However, in the lesson plan I was able to revamp the whole thing and integrate all language skills. The lesson starts with a speaking and listening activity, then that same activity moves into pair work. Then, reading and writing skills are clearly expressed during a worksheet activity, the game, and then the extra class assignment. I think I integrated all the skills into one lesson plan, but I'm not sure I actually integrated all these skills together at one time. Even though I hit on each of these skills during the class, there was never one activity that required the use of all four skills. Overall I think my lesson plan was successful but I feel I could have found a way that required students to speak to each other, listen to each other, write down the information and then have to read each other's answers. That way, all 4 skills are successfully integrated into one activity.
ReplyDeleteIn our (Caitlin and mine) first lesson plan, we integrated reading, some writing, and some speaking and listening with our activity as well as the lecture beforehand.
ReplyDeleteI think all four skills are very important especially at a beginning level. Students need more practice with writing, spelling, and the alphabet. They need more practice with listening because teachers can then determine if students are having an issue with perception or production. And the same goes with speaking, teachers can better figure out where students are having trouble when listening to their students speaking.
I think our lesson could have integrated more of all the skills. If I had to do it over I would have model the instructions as well as the act of commanding someone using the imperative. I would have students take turns directing the teacher (like some of the other lessons did). I would have students read some imperative statements to themselves and then ask if their are any questions. I would have students model the instructions with the teacher just so they no only get a verbal/visual input but also a physical input with what the activity requires. I might include a TPR activity just to get them moving and make that an opening to the lecture/discussion and then commence with the lesson as planned!
Beginners need lots of repetition and though they will hear the imperative a lot its necessary to keep things simple and not lose them in all the text!
Stefani Goode
I think Elizabeth and I somewhat integrated the four skills throughout our lesson. We had students listening and speaking, we also included reading in our activity and writing was a part of the homework assigned. However, I think we should have eased up on the listening focus, had more student participation in speaking, (more examples and pair work could definitely have come into play), and had a note cards for all the students (perhaps teams of students) to read.
ReplyDeleteI think my lesson plan with Jonathan integrated a bit of all of four skills although it somewhat more focused on listening and speaking practice. Because teachers’ example of role play in shopping situation and students’ own role play were main activities in this lesson, students could fully practice their listening and speaking when they listened other groups’ role play and played in front of classmates. Moreover, they should read the whole dialogue carefully to arrange the sentences in good order while they reorganized the scrambled sentences of the dialogue of the teachers’ role play. In addition, when they made their own dialogue with a partner, they had to write down the sentences on paper to act later. However, this lesson was a little bit weaker in reading and writing than listening and speaking. I think it could have been better if we had added some reading activity like eliciting information from a real shopping catalogue or a writing homework related to students’ experiences in shopping.
ReplyDelete