One thing that the mini lessons brought to the forefront for me was the importance of assisting students us use language skillfully, which means teaching real-life language as opposed to teaching grammar rules and scripted textbook language. I saw this demonstrated very effectively in the demo teaching of my classmates. Their lessons gave me insights into my own teaching because they were focused on what appropriate language is and how to develop the skills in students that would enable them to have meaningful interactions with native speakers and other L2 speakers outside of the classroom.
Another thing I saw the demo lesson exhibit was careful selection of materials conforming to their learners' English level. This made me more aware that input beyond the L2's level will result in no comprehension, and therefore, no persistence.
One last thing I gained out of the demo lessons was the realization that the optimal ESL learning environment is best structured in ways that increase learner participation and accountability in the process - i.e., teach them to perform both independently and interdependently.
Monday, April 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment